Tax controversy considerations and requirements are built into the preparation of the indirect tax return and those responsible for indirect tax controversy review indirect tax returns to verify indirect tax positions are properly disclosed, presented and documented. An overview of some best practice approaches:
- There is a process for managing indirect tax positions and documentation
- Documentation is updated throughout the life cycle of an indirect tax position
- Workflow/document management tool supports the process
- The indirect tax function seeks proactively to engage with tax authorities and tax policy makers on a global basis to establish strong relationships in all jurisdictions in which the business operates
- Developing a winning strategy to support an indirect tax position requires having clear insight about your tax policies and execution, how the tax authorities conducts their examination, anticipate next moves, etc.
- Standard global processes exist for indirect tax enquiries and litigation with supporting documentation stored in a central repository